Saturday, March 12, 2016

01 Alarm upgrade /DIY Home Automation project

01 Home Automation Project

March, 2016

Intro

Credits
I stole/copied/plagarized from these people
Make use of
Home Automation for Geeks
Instructable for Webmin

Software Options

Decided to use OpenHab software running on a Raspberry Pi as the controller for my new home automation system.  Lots of help available.

Domoticz was another program that may have worked for this.  I picked OpenHab because although it looks like it is harder to use, it also seems like there is a large user base, and lots of tutorials and help available to get going on it.

Another program is Home Assistant, but that looks like it wants to run on a PC or mac on all the time, so I didn't use it.

Links
Raspbian Image OS for the Raspberry Pi, pick "Raspbian Jessie" I download the zip file.
I used Raspian Jessie based on Debian Jessie Release Date 2016-02-26 Kernel Version 4.1
Win32 Disk Imager  Use to copy Raspbian OS to a SD card.  Also used to make SD backups.
MobaXterm  Terminal program to use to control the Pi
Arduino Software  Software to compile and load Arduino programs into your board.


Existing zwave stuff
I already have a few zwave switches.  I have an old, hand held Leviton controller.

I also have a Monster AVL300 that is my HT remote.  The Monster controls lights in the breakfast room and family room, and can turn on and off the subwoofer and HT amp.  For now, I am going to leave this system alone.

The other zwave switch is in the hall way, its an older version of this Leviton switch.

Intermatic HA06??


Main stuff to buy
1.  Arduino (maybe more than one)
      a)  Power supply to power the Arduino.  Connector or wiring to hook power up.
      b)  May need a small case for mounting/installing, depending on where it goes.
      c)
2.  Raspberry pi.  I started with the original pi, but I bought a pi3 soon after starting this project.
     a)  SD Card.  I used a 8gb because I had a spare one, but it turned out to be the right size.  The image is around 4gb after unzipping, so an 8gb card gives plenty of space to add the stuff you need.  You can use a 16gb card, but to backup you need to backup the image, so the larger the card the larger your backups will be.
     b)  USB Keyboard for pi (I already had one to use.  You only need it for the initial setup, takes a couple hours at most)
     c)  Monitor  (again you can use one you have.  The Pi needs a HDMI connector, again just for initial setup)
     d)  USB Mouse  (had one, initial setup)
     e)  USB power adapter with a micro USB cable for power.  Had some, I used a 2 amp power adapter.
     f)  Ethernet connection or wifi module for Pi.  I started using ethernet until I got a Pi3, with built in wifi.
3.  RF link from Arduino to Pi.  I was going to us a RFM69hw, based on this, it has better range.  But it seemed like it would be harder to interface, especially from the Pi side.  So I went with a NRF24L01+PA+LNA instead.  This is a NRF24L01 type radio transceiver with longer range.  This type of module is very commonly used, and there are many examples to help figure out how to implement.

Other stuff to buy to make it useful.
1.  Relays  You need relays to do things like open/close a garage door, or turn on sprinklers.
2.  Magnetic Door sensors.  To sense if garage door, or any door is open or closed
3.  pir occupancy sensor.  To tell if someone is in the room

Setup the pi

Setup Webmin

Setup Openhab











Alarm project

I have an IDT alarm system from around 2008, and it can use some new technology help :)

The control for it is a Pro 3000.

From some internet searching, I found it was really a Honeywell Vista 20P.
There are a bunch of these types of alarms around IDT probably installed a ton of them, as well as other installers. So, information is readily available.

In early March 2016, I started looking at replacing the alarm.  They have new fancy alarms that include Zwave and sometimes zigbee, and handle home automation in addition to alarm functions, but they can be expensive.

What I really wanted was to be able to arm/disarm my alarm remotely, and be able to check status of the alarm when I'm not at home.

Honeywell makes something called a VAM (Vista Automation Module) that would have added Zwave capability to my system, but in talking to an alarm guy, I would also need another module
Igsmv 4g -2tc $191

Vam $167

Costs was adding up, so I looked for other options.

I found something called ad2pi.  
This device basically can make a raspberry pi look like the keypad/display for my alarm.

With this, you get the alarm status, and can arm/disarm the alarm.

Some other guys had figured out how to add an Arduino mega to the mix, and have this interface with smartthings
Smartthings is a way cool home automation device.

I'm actually not sure if I need the smart things right now. 
I'll start by buying the ad2pi, and get it connected to my alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment